Monday, September 21, 2009

Ok Girls...Things Are Getting Out of Hand

Dad??? Does the title of this post sound familiar? Yes, I caught myself sounding EXACTLY like my dad yesterday!! When my sisters and I used to get a little too wild while having fun when we were little, my dad would always say, "OK Girls, things are getting out of hand." We would always say, "dad, we're just playing" and dad would respond that some one's about to get mad or hurt. We didn't understand then, but I definitely do now. Yesterday, while I was out working in the yard, the girls were having so much fun, literally wrestling on the blanket on the grass. They had been wrestling for several minutes and they were laughing hysterically but I could tell just by listening that it was getting rougher and rougher and someone was about to get hurt. Just when I started to say, "that's enough...", Alice Anne got knocked down and got a busted lip. Hannah jumped up, so worried that she would get in trouble, saying, "mommy, I didn't mean to...we were just playing." Obviously she didn't get in trouble, but we got a busted lip out of it and lots of cries out of the little baby.

The busted lip just added to Alice Anne's already beat-up little body. Saturday, when we were at Grapefest, Alice Anne was riding in the wagon and just started screaming hysterically. I picked her up and we figured that she had just smashed her finger or something and she stopped crying and was fine. When we got home and I went to change her diaper I saw this...
...and it's 10 times worse than it looks in this picture. I have stressed over this since seeing it. What in the world??? I can not figure out WHAT could have caused this AND her 3 small toes are bruised, too. I have inspected the wagon 1,000 times and I can't find anything that would have caused this! She was fine the rest of the day and doesn't act like it hurts at all. WEIRD!! I was hesitant to leave her in the nursery at church yesterday. The workers in her class don't know me...what if they think she has abusive parents and call CPS on me?!? I mean...that's what I would think if I saw a baby that looked like this!! Poor little girl!
Hannah...she constantly makes me laugh! The funniest things come out of her mouth. This morning Alice Anne was calling for dada while we were eating breakfast. Hannah is so funny because you can always tell when she's pondering something really hard and she was definitely having one of these moments. Then she looks over at me and said, "mommy, where did you get dada anyway?" What??? How do I respond to this?? I said, "I got him at Baylor." What was I supposed to say? She said, "Where did Baylor get him?" I said, "From Gigi and Grandpop." End of conversation...I guess my answers satisfied her.
Alice Anne has been freaking out when we drop her off at the church nursery. Yesterday Hannah said that she wanted to tell Alice Anne that it was OK when we dropped her off. "Mommy, she won't cry if I take her," she said. Well, that didn't work, but before she went to her class, she said, "Mommy, do you want me to take you and daddy to your class. If I do then daddy won't cry!" She was dead serious!!! So cute!!!
This morning before we left for school I told Hannah to go put her brown shoes on while I put her things in her backpack. She came into the kitchen and said, "come on mommy and Alice Anne. I'm ready for school!" And this is what she had on...my shoes that I had left by the back door.
She was sincerely upset when I told her that she couldn't wear mommy's 3" heels to school. Of course she asked me why not and I told her that she wouldn't be able to run and play with her friends on the playground if she had high heels on and she said, "that's ok mommy, I'll just sit on the helicopter and look pretty." I think there's a helicopter toy on the playground...
Funny Girl!!!

3 comments:

Bekah Belf said...

Poor baby :(
AA had a rough weekend. Do you think the strap that goes in-between AA’s legs on the wagon could have rubbed her chubby little leg raw???
That Hannah it too funny! I miss them both!

Lane Olson said...

be glad those sweet girls play. mine don't...if anything gets busted it was for sure intentional. were AA and Samuel in the same nursery on Sunday? M did say he saw Hannah.

Lee Carter said...

I suppose it's true that "what goes around comes around." I could add other cliches, but I'll be kind and resist--but your comments make me smile! Just think. In another 25 years Hannah and Alice Anne will repeat the same cycle with their kids. You're a great mom!