Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A Birthday Not To Be Remembered!!!

What a day yesterday was!! Our sweet little baby turned ONE!! We had a fabulous day planned. Daddy didn't have to start his new job until today, so he had the day off to spend with his little girl on her birthday. We had is all planned out...we were going to have a big birthday breakfast for Alice Anne with her favorite, scrambled eggs, sausage, ham and hash browns. Then we were going to head to the zoo, come home, have a family birthday party for her with cake, presents and all and then I was going to cook mexican food for dinner since she loves it so much! It was going to be a birthday we wouldn't forget!
Our day didn't go quite as planned!!!!
Our day started at 12:00 midnight. The girls were sound asleep in their cozy little beds and daddy and mommy were up ALL NIGHT LONG!!! I'll spare you with the details, but Brett's episode started at midnight and he was in the bathroom every hour on the hour until 7:00 a.m. Trying to be a sweet wife, I was up with him, helping him. Please, I could get a few hours of sleep and be ok. But then my episode started at 5:00 a.m. and I was in the bathroom every hour on the hour!!! 8:00 rolled around and I hear Alice Anne ready to get up. She's pretty easy going, so I laid there and listened to her talk on the monitor while I prayed harder than I've ever prayed before that this bug would pass FAST!! 8:15 came and I hear Hannah ready to get up, singing in her bed, happy as ever. I made myself get up...it took me about 10 minutes just to get up the energy to make a bottle and about another 10 minutes to get up the stairs. Oh, my sweet baby was standing up in her bed on her birthday smiling from ear to ear and I looked and felt like death!!! She got her diaper changed on the floor and drank her bottle on the floor and then we both crawled into Hannah's room. Of course Hannah remembered it was Alice Anne's birthday and she was so excited and greeted Alice Anne by singing Happy Birthday to her and I just sat there. I managed to get them downstairs but it was breakfast time. Sorry, Alice Anne, your big breakfast was going to have to wait. I grabbed a bag of Froot Loops that I keep to give as "treats," carried the bag in the den, turned Elmo on, laid down on the couch and Hannah and Alice Anne had froot loops on the den floor for her birthday breakfast! Seriously?? I have never felt so guilty. And they were so sweet!! They played by themselves all morning long. Poor little Hannah came in the bathroom and saw my head over the toilet and had the most scared little look on her face. She said, "Mommy, what's wrong with you?" While Alice Anne was napping, Hannah was starting to get pretty bored, so what else could I do...the only thing that came to mind were Alice Anne's birthday presents. No I didn't?!? Yes, I totally did...I told Hannah to go get Alice Anne's birthday presents and open them and play with them!!! They kept her entertained until Alice Anne woke up and then Hannah got to "show" her her birthday presents. Fabulous!!! OK, so it goes on, goldfish on the den floor for lunch and then my sweet, wonderful, fabulous Dad came to the rescue!!!! My mom was going to come help, but she had workers at the house. My dad was going to Wichita Falls yesterday afternoon, so being the sweet self that he is, he came to Dallas to help me yesterday afternoon and then made a late night drive to Wichita. Oh, I don't know what I would have done if he hadn't come...he was a life saver and he did an awesome job with the girls. He asked me what I wanted him to feed them for dinner and I said anything healthy since all they had had all day were froot loops and goldfish. He played with them, fed them, gave them baths and put Alice Anne to bed. Thank you, thank you, thank you, dad!!!!!
We are much better today and I'm trying to make it up to Alice Anne. I had to run to the toy store this morning so that she would at least have 1 present to open from her mommy and daddy for her birthday. We baked a cake for her that we'll eat when daddy gets home and she got her big breakfast for lunch since I wasn't quite my normal self this morning. But she didn't care, she loved every bit of it!! We go for her 1 year check-up on Friday, so I'll do a 1 year post then...
I'm so sorry that your birthday wasn't perfect, sweet baby girl!!! Happy First Birthday!!! We love you more than words can describe!


Ummm, why is this cake not on my tray where I can eat it...hurry up and finish singing please!!

I think she found every single crumb she could and shoved it her mouth.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Happy Birthday, Alice Anne! Yo are as sweet as a girl can be. SO SORRY you all were so sick! How miserable! I know it is hard- but don't feel guilty. I have been there and poor Molly lived on crackers, Elmo and juice boxes for 24 hours. You do what you have to do. We'll make up for it tomorrow and have a big time for her birthday!

Kelly said...

Happy Birthday, sweet Alice Anne! I am so glad you are feeling better Emily. That is the worst. I have been home alone with Lucy twice when I was up all night with a stomach bug. Somehow they just know and they take it easy on us! Can't' wait to see you all tomorrow.

Lane Olson said...

Bless your sweet Dad! That is just the worst. Happy Birthday to AA. She was a precious birthday girl today. Thanks for having us.

Bekah Belf said...

Happy Birthday AA. Your Aunt Bekah loves you!!!!